Star Community, Inc.
13674 Greencastle Pike
Hagerstown, MD 21740
13757 Broadfording Church Rd.
Hagerstown, MD 21740
Profile Last Updated February 25, 2019
View our WEBSITE
View our GUIDESTAR PROFILE
Our Mission/How we are involved with horses:
Star Community's mission is to provide a supportive and challenging living and working experience for people with disabilities, without regard to race or creed, and to do so with respect, dignity, and love in the name of Christ.
STAR Equestrian Center, program of Star Community Inc.
As a full spectrum equine learning facility our vision is to serve children and adults of all cognitive, physical, and social abilities. We strive to enhance quality of life by attending to the mind, body and spirit of each rider, volunteer and participant.
• Therapeutic Riding-riders from age 4, using the 3D movement of the horse to strengthen physical issues, muscles, and improve balance. Using riding skills to teach social, cognitive. Communication and daily life skills
• Character Reins –unmounted experiential approach program using interactive activities with a horse to enhance character traits in at-risk youth, provide coping tools for victims of trauma and exciting group team building
• Equine Assisted Learning programs: for anyone who nurtures growth or addresses problems of another person. This unmounted program focusses on using horses to promote social connectedness, self efficacy, and safe space.
• Horses for Heroes- serving active duty, veterans and first responders free of charge. Ministering to struggles such as PTSD, depression, substance abuse and loneliness.
• Farm education- an experiential approach, tailor made field trips to learn about caring for our earth, the importance of agriculture in our county and the role of different farm animals,
• Boarding- safe family friendly, excellent care of horses for community horse enthusiasts who don’t have facilities to house their horse at home
Our organization conducts Equine Assisted Services (EAS) in accordance with the EQUUS Foundation Guidelines on Qualifications of Organizations Conducting Equine-Assisted Services (EAS)